Senior Exemptions

Senior Exemptions

Estefania Arrivillaga, Writer

Westside High school offers its students the ability to omit their second semester finals. This opportunity helps senior students avoid taking these big exams, requirements include having no more than three absences, no level three offenses and maintaining  an average grade of 85 and above for the entirety of the spring semester. Senior Students stick through the full spring semester in order to skip out on these finals find it very beneficial. In addition to ending the school year a week early, seniors who are exempt also get to miss out on the exams from the week before. Senior exemptions are a great way to combat senioritis.

A Howler news member interview  a couple of seniors  to ask about their opinions

Daniela Garcia answered ” I think it’s a great way to motivate students to keep their attendance rate high while also maximizing the amount of class time they are involved in, which helps us have a higher class average allowing us to get exempt from finals while gaining knowledge.”

Abir Khusro ” Senior Exemptions should be able to be earned without just being present to class, i believe excused absences shouldn’t count against you due to the fact that people can be sick or have other serious issues that come between being able to attend school. A lot of kids work hard to have a high average in their classes and an exemption shouldn’t be taken away from them because of things that are out of their control.”