• May 9The 2017 Senior Edition of the Howler News is OUT! Get it while you can.

• May 9Update - Laptop check in begins Wednesday, May 17th for seniors

• March 29The 2017 Canidae Yearbook is SOLD OUT. Thanks wolves!

Filed under News, Showcase

AP Testing: Steps to a 5

Attention all Westside students – AP tests may seem far away but they are just around the corner! AP tests are a great opportunity to get ahead on college classes and save a lot of money. You should take the test even if you don’t feel you’ll do well, because you’ll still get an idea of how the material in college will be like, which gives you a big head start.

Ms. Stewart, the AP test coordinator at Westside, provided her insight on students taking the AP test:

Howler News: Why should students take the AP test?

Ms. Stewart: Students who enroll in AP courses are highly recommended to take the AP Exams. Deciding to take an AP course lets colleges and universities know that you have what it takes to succeed in an undergraduate environment. When admissions officers see “AP” on your transcript, they know that what you experienced in a particular class has prepared you well for the challenges of college. Taking AP is a sign that you’re up for the most rigorous classes your high school has to offer.

HN: What benefits and opportunities does it bring?

Ms. Stewart: By taking an AP course and scoring successfully on the related AP Exam, you can save on college expenses: most colleges and universities nationwide offer college credit, advanced placement, or both, for qualifying AP Exam scores. These credits can allow students to save college tuition, study abroad, or secure a second major.

Earning a qualifying score on the AP Exam can help you advance and avoid required introductory courses – so you can move directly into upper-level classes and focus on the work that interests you most.

Taking an AP course builds the skills you’ll need throughout your college years. You give your mind a rigorous workout while polishing up your time management and study skills. You also get better at handling challenging issues and problems, with the support of your AP teachers. AP courses let you know what to expect during the next phase of your educational journey, and help you build the confidence to succeed.

HN:  How would you advise students to prepare for the AP test? 

Ms. Stewart: Teachers are preparing to have mock exams and review sessions to help students get ready to take their AP exams.  Students can also use practice exams that were previously released versions of the AP Exam to prepare for their exams. 

Tito, Westside senior, was recognized as a National AP Scholar. He also provided some advice as to how to prepare for AP exams:

I recommend to start studying a month before the actual test. So just look over the notes, do some practice problems, and then the weekend before the exam, relax.”

Get to studying early and good luck, Wolves!